Saturday, July 28, 2012

Lochte Wins Gold in 400 IM, Phelps 4th


It wasn't a surprise that reigning world champion Ryan Lochte won the gold medal at the 400 meter individual medley final in London today. He has been the best swimmer in the world for the last two years, and blew away the field in the final today, winning the final meet with a time of 4:05.18.

"This is my year," said Lochte, who popped in his grillz -- diamond-studded mouth jewelry -- for the victory ceremony. "I know it and I feel it, because I've put in hard work. I've trained my butt off for four years ... and there's no better way to start this Olympics off than getting gold."

Brazil's Thiago Pereira (4:08.86) and Japan's Kosuke Hagino (4:08.94) took the silver and bronze, respectively, and Michael Phelps, who won a record eight-gold medals four years ago at Beijing, finished fourth with a time of 4:09.28. 

"It's frustrating, that's all I can say. It's pretty upsetting," Phelps said. "The biggest thing now is to try to look forward. I have a bunch of other races, and hopefully we can finish a lot better than how we started."

No comments:

Post a Comment