Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bruins Win Stanley Cup

There is nothing like a Game 7 for the championship. It's too bad the Vancouver Canucks didn't show up.

The city of Boston has another title after the Bruins defeated the Canucks 4-0 last night in British Columbia to win their sixth Stanley Cup, and first since 1972. The Bruins join the Celtics, Patriots (three times), Red Sox (twice) as championship winning teams in Boston in the last decade.

Conn Smythe Trophy Winner, awarded to the MVP of the series, went to dominant goalie Tim Thomas, who saved an insane 238 of the 246 shots he faced throughout the seven games. Not even the starting goalie at the beginning of the season, Thomas put on a legendary performance throughout the postseason, including winning three Game 7's.

"I think I went even further than I thought," Thomas said. "I was scared, I won't lie. I had nerves yesterday and today, and I faked it as best as I could, and I faked it all the way to the Stanley Cup."

For 43 year old Mark Recchi, who plans to go into retirement now, he goes out a champion to cap a great career.

For Vancouver, which squeaked by with three close wins, but were blown out in their four losses in the Final, a great season comes to and end in a rather puny fashion. Goalie Roberto Luongo was especially bad, giving up numerous soft goals and reverting to Bad Luongo way too often. In addition, the Sedin twins were largely unproductive against the hard hitting Bruins defense.

Finally, shame on the city of Vancouver, which turned a bitter playoff defeat into and excuse to start riots and loot the city. I never understood this idea of "We lost so let's be hooligans and trash the city" (or in the case of Los Angeles, "Now that we've won, let's flip some cars"). In the end, it's just a game, and not worth breaking the law just because you can't keep your Canadian hockey emotions at an even keel.

No comments:

Post a Comment