Sunday, June 7, 2009

Federer Wins French Open

As the rain began to fall again at Roland Garros in Paris, and with the Swiss national anthem playing in the stadium, tears of joy streamed down Roger Federer's face. The #2 in the world had finally won the French Open for the first time in his career, which was his 14th major, tying Pete Sampras' record. He beat Robin Soderling, who had knocked off his rival #1 Rafael Nadal earlier in the tournament, in straight sets 6-1, 7-6, 6-4 to complete a career grand slam. "It's maybe my greatest victory, or certainly the one that removes the most pressure off my shoulders," Federer said afterward. "I think that now and until the end of my career, I can really play with my mind at peace, and no longer hear that I've never won Roland Garros."

4 comments: